We Still Get to Help God Change the World
Did you know that . . .
God our Savior . . . wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 5For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus, I Timothy 2:3-5, NLT.
What does that mean for us?
God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation. So we are Christ’s ambassadors, II Corinthians 5:19-20a, NLT.
God wants to save the world from sin, death, and hell, and he wants to use you and me to do it. In fact, he wants to use our church to do it. And over the years, He has.
I was doing a little digging into our church’s past, and I found myself in the summer of 2011. On Saturday the 25th of June at our monthly Car Care event, a twenty-something man prayed to receive Jesus as his Lord and Savior. Then on June 30th during our VBS evangelism night, 6 children prayed to receive Jesus. Two nights before, a second grade girl went home after that night of VBS and asked Jesus to come into her heart. In just seven days, 8 people were born again into the Kingdom of God through the ministries of our church. Then on July 23rd at our monthly Car Care event, an 18 year-old man became a Christian. In 2012 we saw 17 people saved, including 6 through Car Care and 6 van children on one Sunday morning.
God is not finished with us or with our world, for there are so many around us who need Jesus and who need to be taught how to walk with Jesus. What can you and I do to be a part of God’s plan to change the world around us and our church?
- Get an impact list filled with at least three people you know who either don’t know Jesus or who have drifted from Jesus and His church. Make up your mind to invite them.
- Pray for your impact list, for them to come to Jesus through you and your church. Pray for God to send us people who are looking for Jesus. Pray for the Sunday Morning Van Ministry to have new children. Pray for God to send our church people who will help us to reach people.
- Participate in Sunday School, in Worship, in Car Care, and in events like the Weenie Roast or the upcoming Christmas Dinner and Talent Show. You and I are members of the Body of Christ. If my hand or my foot is missing, then my body is in trouble. If one or more of us is missing, then the Body of Christ is in trouble.
When they heard the report, all the believers lifted their voices together in prayer to God . . . . After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness. . . . So God’s message continued to spread. The number of believers greatly increased in Jerusalem, and many of the Jewish priests were converted, too, Acts 4:24, 31; 5:7.
TO OUR WARRIORS IN THE SUNDAY SCHOOL, and the People They Teach
Where can we learn the right answers? The following answers were given on a test by an assortment of students who no doubt thought that they had had enough of school.
- H2O is hot water, and CO2 is cold water.
- To collect sulphur fumes, hold a deacon over a flame in a test tube.
- Water is composed of two gins, Oxygin and Hydrogin. Oxygin is pure gin; Hydrogin is water and gin.
- Vacuum: a large empty place where the Pope lives.
- A magnet is something you see crawling all over a dead cat.
- Momentum is something you give to someone who is going away.
- Germinate: to become a German citizen.
Not knowing the right answers on a test can get you a bad grade (and laughed at by the teacher). Not knowing the right answers in life can get you into trouble at work, at school, in your home, and among your friends. Where can we learn the right answers for life? One of the best places is in Sunday School at 9:15 on Sunday mornings. In Sunday School we get to crack open God’s answer book (the Bible), read it, wrestle with it, understand it, and use it to pass the tests of life.
Unlike school where tests came only two or three times a semester, in life the tests come on a daily basis. If you need help passing those tests (and who doesn’t), why not join one of our study groups at 9:15 this Sunday.